Diffusing means to disperse or spread out widely or thinly. Diffusing essential oils allows a fine mist of little droplets of essential oil and their therapeutic properties to be dispersed throughout a large area.
- EMOTIONS: To use essential oils for Emotions, such as creating a calm or relaxing feeling or energizing feeling; you must inhale/smell them.
- RESPIRATORY: To use essential oils for respiratory issues, where they need to be inhaled into the lungs. Diffusing disperses small droplets that are fine enough to be inhaled into the lungs.
- AIR PURIFICATION: Essential Oils will freshen/purify the air up, instead of masking smells. They inhibit bacterial and fungi growth; destroying air-borne molds, mildews, and dust particles.
- IMMUNE BUILDER: Essential Oils have the ability to grab hold of air-borne bacteria (specifically Lemon) while stimulating the body’s own immune system; flushing the body of metals and chemicals that suppress the immune system.
Should Essential Oils be Diffused continuously?
- No. While diffusing essential oils is therapeutically beneficial on both a physical and emotional level; continuous, exposure to the small particles of essential oil being breathed in, constantly, can actually cause a negative effect. It only takes about 20-30 minutes for the nose to get used to an aroma, therefore it is easy to forget that essential oil is being dispersed in the air. Using a timer for any diffuser will help this problem. Remember, less is better when using concentrated essential oils in any way.
What to look for in a Diffuser?
Diffusing essential oils can be done several ways, but to keep from losing therapeutic properties while diffusing them, there are three things to look for in a diffuser:
- Glass Nebulizer: Essential Oil should not come in contact with Metal, as it can react and draw out the heavy metals it comes in contact with.
- No Heat: The Essential Oil should only be “blown”, not heated to distribute. You do NOT want to heat the Essential Oil’s in a candle, ring, pot, etc., because the heat can destroy the constituents of the plant oil. Besides, essential oils are very volatile and dissipate quickly when heated, and you are only wasting it.
- No Electric switching within 3 feet: Keeping electrical frequencies away. No switch on the base, only on the cord. And long enough cord to keep away from an outlet.
*Different Diffusing Options:
If you can’t afford a diffuser, you can put Essential Oil into a spray bottle, with water, and “mist” the area.
- You can also put Essential Oil into a Cool Mist humidifier. Place 10 drops Essential Oil per 8oz Water in a Spray Bottle.
- Always Shake before Spraying to distribute oils within the water.
- Use about 6-8 drops of Essential Oil in a cool humidifier.
- Be sure to add a pinch of salt in or about 1/8 tsp, so the Essential Oil will disperse into the water.
*NOTE: The oils will eventually break down the plastics within a spray bottle or humidifier.
A Powerful Way to Diffuse Essential Oil!
An Essential Oil Diffuser is nothing more than a fancy glass holder on top of a blowing motor. Unfortunately, the motors are not very strong and do not last long. If you are willing to give up aesthetics for practicality, consider using an Asthmatic Nebulizer instead. The motor is stronger and meant to be used constantly without fail, and works great for large areas.
Purchase a Nebulizer that has a hands-free holder/hook, like the one pictured. If you can find one that offers different blowing levels, a high and low, that is even better!
- Then purchase a “replacement glass” from a diffuser or use one from an old diffuser. Search for a glass that offers a “stem” and blows out the top, like the “Radiance replacement glass” or “Trillia handmade glass“. The bottom stem is needed to plug the Nebulizer hose into, for blowing.
- Finally, purchase an outlet Timer to plug your Nebulizer into. The Nebulizer motor used for Asthmatics has a motor that is more powerful and will distribute the essential oil throughout a room quickly, so setting a timer to go on for 5min., then shut off for 20-30min., will help not overpower a smaller room.
USING & CLEANING:
- When you are all set up and ready to use your “Diffuser”, start by adding 5-7 drops of Essential oil, you can add more if you will be using just that EO for awhile.
- Do NOT add water or carrier oil to your diffuser glass, you will clog the blown glass or cause it to function improperly.
- If you want to use a Resin or “thicker” essential oil, like Patchouli or Myrrh, you will need to “dilute” them with another “thinner” essential oil. So try to find a companion oil that compliments your resin oils. (All of our essential oil pages have suggestions on what they “Blend well with”, so check them out!)
- When you are ready to clean your glass diffuser, simply add 1-2 teaspoons of 90% Rubbing alcohol and allow it to blow for 1-2 minutes. Swirl the alcohol around and then dump it. Allow it to dry/evaporate out and you are ready for your next essential oil!
- Find lots of great Recipes on our other pages. Romantic oil Recipes, Not just for Bath Recipes, Floral Recipes, and Holiday Recipes!!